- October is the most popular month for film festivals
- 71% of film festivals screen short films and 52% screen feature films
- Half of all film festivals run for less than 7 days
- 14% of festivals regard their funding situation as “great” or better
- Average submission fee is $27 for short films and $40 for feature films
- 51% of festivals give discounts to students
- 77% of festivals allow your film to be online publicly when submitting
- There are around 3,000 film festivals currently active (i.e. ran in the past two years)
- 9,706 film festivals have run at least once in the last 15 years (from 2013)
Some questions I am thinking about are:
- What month would be an ideal time for a Geelong LGBT Film Festival?
- Should it be linked to another LGBT event such as ‘Wear it Purple’ Day
Given that many film festivals don’t make it past their first year:
- How small can you start and still call it a film festival?
- What makes your festival a success and how do you measure that success?